This winter it's all about la Plagne, France. Just like Corsica...except more snow and less ghetto

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Dropping some hammers

Having received a letter from my bro along with the snowboard, he informed me that I needed to 'drop some hammers' for him. Not being entirely sure what this involved I set about my snowboard quest hoping it would all become clear. First task was to get boots and bindings, for which I had specific requirements from my bro. I went to literally the only board shop in la Plagne and had a little look about and realised that this was basically the best shot I had at getting what I needed. First thing was boots, and shamelessly this is where I had to start flirting en francais with a horrendously smelly and long haired frenchy who worked in the shop. All in pursuit of a good discount, I even smiled when he gave me the shop's one pair of demo socks, reaking from its one millionth customer, for trying on some boots. Thankfully I found some boots and they had the bindings I wanted, and they are both beautiful and white! Before I knew it I had the bindings fitted to my 'planche' (new word I learnt by the way!) and I was good to go (after asking them to come along to Scotty's hoping this would reduce the price even more but to no avail!). That afternoon I went out with Corrine, a chalet girl, snowboarder chick, and she taught me the wonder that is a 'falling leaf' and I learnt how to turn one way, but I think the other way was too much for me that day! Needless to say I did some massive wipe outs, possibly this is the definition of dropping some hammers...we shall see? The day afterwards I pleaded with some of the Scotty's boys to take me out and show me the way of the board, and Chris was the lucky contestant. I admit hands down that I failed to impress Chris with my boarding prowess at the beginning of the day, with an encounter with a drag lift. I want to defend myself first and say that drag lifts for snowboarders are like kryptonite for superman. Anyways before I knew it the stupid guy in charge of the lift decided to issue me with a ban from the drag lift. Not a good start. So Chris rather stupidly decided to take me up on a blue run via a chair lift, but here's where I started to kick a bit of ass (dropping hammers on the way???), I made it off the chair lift, without making them stop the lift, and without falling. I should have just stopped there to be honest. After that it took me about 1 hour to get down this blue run, and I properly nearly killed myself. I'm sure you've all been there, when you get a little cocky and you're doing a relatively 'easy' bit and then BAM! Wipe out city. I winded myself so badly I couldn't talk and Chris had to fetch my hat and googles from the arse end of nowhere. So I made my way down the hill a la my ass and then went in for some refuelling in the form of chocolat chaud! Man did it work a treat! I went up the same lift and I managed to make it down this blue, turning not just one, but both ways, my friends and falling over only about 20 times! Woo! Still not a clue what they are or how you do it, but I definitely dropped some big hammers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home